Does tax law puzzle you? Which credits and deductions can you use to increase your refund?
Free tax preparation assistance is available in Navajo County for families with income less than $85,000 through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, sponsored by United Way’s Northern Arizona Chapter, Navajo County and Northland Pioneer College.
VITA offers free tax preparation assistance to low-to-moderate income families who file basic tax returns. Assistors also aid community members in claiming any special credits and deductions, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, for which they are eligible. NPC locations will be using Scan-to-Go, which securely transmits an individual's tax information to United Way volunteer tax preparers who have completed an IRS training and certification course in basic income tax preparation before they can assist customers. The completed returns are then either mailed to the individual or transmitted back to the NPC location for the individual to sign a week later and then e-file the return.
Community members seeking tax preparation assistance must provide a valid picture ID for taxpayer and spouse, if filing jointly and Social Security or ITIN cards for all household members claimed on the return. Other required documents include: proof of income, including wage and earnings statements (Form W-2) from all employers; interest statements from banks (Form 1099); Form 1095-A if you purchased Healthcare coverage from the Market Place; a copy of last year's tax return if available; and other relevant information about income and expenses. You should also bring the name. address, tax ID number of child care providers and the amount paid. If you want to have your refund directly deposited to your bank account, bring the account and routing numbers.
To qualify for VITA, family income must be less than $85,000. Bring your support information to one of these NPC locations providing VITA support:
- Holbrook – Painted Desert Campus Nizhoni Learning Center, 2251 E. Navajo Blvd.; Fridays, from 9 a.m. to Noon: February 24, March 24 and April 7.
- Winslow – Little Colorado Campus Learning Center, 1400 E. Third St.; Mondays, from 1 to 4 p.m.: February 27, March 6, 20 & 27, April 3 & 10.
- Snowflake/Taylor – Silver Creek Campus Learning Center, 1611 S. Main St.; Wednesdays, from 1 to 5 p.m.: March 1, 8, 22 & 29, April 5 & 12.
- Show Low – White Mountain Campus Learning Center, 1001 W. Deuce of Clubs; Wednesdays, from 9 a.m. to Noon: February 22, March 1 & 22, April 12; and from 2 to 5 p.m.: February 22, March 1, 8 & 29, April 5 & 12.
NPC's Kayenta and Hopi centers are also providing VITA tax preparation. Contact those locations for dates and times.
A schedule of VITA dates and required documents is posted online.
United Way of Northern Arizona
– – – N P C – Expanding Minds • Transforming Lives – – –