Financial Aid: How to Apply

Step 1: Create a New FSA ID


Create a New FSA ID

An FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature.

Only create an FSA ID using your own personal information and for your own exclusive use. You are not authorized to create an FSA ID on behalf of someone else, including a family member. Misrepresentation of your identity to the federal government could result in criminal or civil penalties.

  • Sign your FAFSA with your FSA ID. If you are providing your parents' information, one parent must also apply for a FSA ID.
  • NOTE: If you are a parent with more than one dependent attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to electronically sign all applications. Each FSA ID user, including parent, must have their own email address.

Step 2: Gather the following information

  • Your (and your spouse) social security number and your parents' social security numbers (if you are providing your parent information).
  • Use your legal name as shown on your social security card and make sure your social security number is correct.
  • Your driver's license number if you have one. 
  • Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen.
  • You and your parents' most recent Federal Tax Return (if you are providing your parents information) and all W-2s (

    It is recommended that you (and your parents) file your current year's Federal Tax Return before completing the FAFSA so the correct information is reported.

    • Your (and your parents if providing their information) untaxed income such as child support, living allowances paid to member of the military or clergy, Veteran's Non-educational Benefits, etc.
    • Your (and your parents if providing their information) information on savings, investments, and business and farm assets.
    • VIDEO: FAFSA Overview by Department of Education

    Step 3: Begin filling out your FAFSA

    The FREE Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a Renewal FAFSA (for continuing students), must be completed each school year.

    • The FAFSA on the Web (FOTW) worksheet and FAFSA application are available. See (FA Forms).
    • NPC's school year is Fall, Spring and Summer session.
    • It is recommended that you PRINT out the FAFSA online worksheet first. Once you have completed the FAFSA worksheet on paper, then return to the website and complete the FAFSA application online. 
    • NPC's Federal School Code is 011862.
    • VIDEO: How to Fill Out the FAFSA by Department of Education

    When will I receive the FAFSA results?

    Results are received in the form of a Student Aid Report (SAR). If you applied online, you should receive this in approximately one week; if you mailed in a paper FAFSA application, it will take 3 - 4 weeks. Keep the SAR for your records and review the information carefully. If there is a problem, follow instructions and act immediately. If there are no problems with your SAR, the NPC Financial Aid office will receive the information electronically at about the same time you receive your SAR.


    Step 4: Check your FAFSA status online

    • You may check your status of a submitted FAFSA.
    • Print a signature page if you did not sign with your FSA ID.
    • Make corrections to your FAFSA if needed.
    • View and print your SAR for your records.

    Who can receive financial aid?

    • You must be enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program approved by the Department of Education.
    • You must have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent.
    • You must be a US Citizen or Eligible Non-Citizen as defined by federal regulation.
    • If you are a male student (between the ages of 18-25 and have not registered) you must be registered with Selective Service. You may register online.
    • You must not have obtained a bachelor's degree or higher.
    • You must be in good standing and not in default of student loans and not owing a Federal Pell Grant overpayment to any college/university. If you have any questions regarding your student loan you may call the Department of Education at 1.800.621.3115 or 1.800.433.3243 or log on to Student Loans then select "Managing Repayment." The National Student Loan Data Systems (NSLDS) website provides information on Pell Lifetime Limits, Overpayments, Loan Status, etc.
    • You must have resolved any drug conviction issues.
    • You must not be currently incarcerated.
    • You must meet all Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements.

    What documents are required to complete my NPC Financial Aid file?

    • Once FAFSA results are received electronically by the NPC Financial Aid Office from the federal processor you will be contacted by the NPC Financial Aid Office.
    • Applicants are required to file a degree plan/audit through an NPC Academic Advisor.
    • You must request the degree plan/audit be sent to the NPC Financial Aid Office.
    • Complete and submit the NPC Financial Aid Information Sheet, available from Financial Aid Office or an NPC Academic Advisor. All current financial aid forms are available on this website and also on MyNPC.
    • Supporting documents may be required to verify the following:
    1. Family income
    2. Family size
    3. Number in college
    4. Untaxed income
    5. SNAP Benefits/Food Stamps
    6. Child Support Paid/Received
    7. High School Diploma/GED
    8. Proof of Identity

    What types of financial aid does NPC Offer?
    • NPC participates in the following federal financial aid programs as authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended:
    1. Federal Pell Grant
    2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
    3. Arizona Leveraging Educational Assistance Program (LEAP)
    4. Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP): job listing is updated each semester.
      1. NPC Institutional Scholarships
      2. NPC Foundation Scholarships
      3. State/Regional/National Scholarships
      4. Private Scholarships
      5. Native American/Tribal Scholarship information
      6. National Scholarships

      Does NPC offer student loans?

      No. Please note that NPC does NOT participate in any Federal Student Loan Program, including Stafford, PLUS, Perkins and Direct Loans.

      We're here to help!

      If you have questions, contact the Financial Aid Office in Holbrook at

      (800) 266-7845, ext. 7318
      FAX: (928) 524-7319
      Send us an email.

      Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm,
      Tuesday, 8:00 am to 7:00 pm when classes are in session,
      Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.